Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Oh, the humanity!

Dear Professor ( ) ,

My name is Joe Blow II and I am enrolled in your class( ). I am writing this letter because unfortunately I have not been able to attend your class the reason being is I have a occupation who does not work around my school schedule. I value my education but my job does not. I have to work in order to pay for this education and have been required to work during school time since the being of this school year. I do not want to drop out this quarter so I am e-mailing you to see if there is anything I can do to catch up and complete this class. Thank you for your time! Please respond by either e-mailing me at joeblow or call me on my cell phone at (555) 555-5555.

Now really. What do you suppose this student wanted me to say? (Or write?) I responded with something reasonable, but I was DYING to bust into full-blown sarcasm-mode. Something like, "Oh. You can't attend my class. Well, why didn't you just say so? I am happy to give you an A for doing nothing. Next time just let me know sooner. In fact, I honestly don't know why I even BOTHER with teaching and assignments and all that superfluous crap. The A+ grades are on the house, people!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home