Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid

It's late and I'm exhausted, but I just wanted to post this before I get my beauty sleep.

First South Dakota, now this: Tennessee could be the next state to make abortion illegal. Are they all going to fall like dominoes?

One of my colleagues had her human sexuality students write a brief reaction paper on a movie they watched (about abortion.) One student (male) wrote:

Anyone who gets an abortion or performs an abortion should be hanged. It is murder and should be treated as such.

Don't you love the irony of the Pro-Lifers?

Hell, I don't think I'm going to sleep at all . . . I'm going to have nightmares because this country has become very, very scary.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jess Riley said...

Did you notice that most of the people in that picture are old white men?

And creepy, too?

March 10, 2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

What did Gloria Steinem say? "If men could get pregnant religion would be a sacrament." Check out this awesome article from the UK Guardian. It really isn't about the "babies" - it's really about who gets to tell whom what to do.

March 10, 2006 1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I write from Poland, we have this problem, and the discussion, in our country. I think, I will bookmark your blog. Sincerely yours - ~didi

March 10, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Welcome, didi. I just realized what an ignorant American I am - I honestly thought that most of the developed world had solved this problem decades ago - abortion should be safe and legal because unwanted pregnancies (and subsequent unwanted children) are not good for anybody.

March 10, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

I misquoted Gloria Steinem horribly. The quote is, "If men could get pregnant abortion would be a sacrament." Duh. See what happens when you're upset and sleep deprived?

March 10, 2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Yeah, I'm scared, too. The sentence "Canada is nice" is uttered more and more frequently in my house these days.

March 10, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Yeah, exactly -- pro-lifers want these unwanted babies to be born but then they don't want to fund all the programs that will (quite often) be needed to support these children and their families, like welfare!

I totally agree: I wish men could get pregnant. If they could, I'm sure things would be very, very different. And then I wish there would be a sex that's even stronger than they are, so that they could have that fear of being raped by someone and having to deal with the consequences. Don't want to carry the baby that results from that, huh, guys?

March 10, 2006 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home