Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Shake That!

J. and I live in a cute (soon to be MUCH cuter) townhouse. Our next door neighbors are both single women - one a sweet, sad widow and one a sweet, fashion-felon type. However, the fashion felon LOVES Eminem. Loves him. I cannot express this strongly enough. Like, "maybe her fiance has some competition" loves him. In particular, she LOVES the song Shake That. I honestly don't mind Eminem - I don't own any of his stuff, but I'm not completely opposed to him. (Although morbid curiosity made me watch the Shake That video on VH1 online and I was appalled to hear the lyrics, "I get more ass than a toilet seat." Nice. Maybe I'll use that in my next class as an example of how to repel women with one easy step.)

But she listens to that song EVERY day. At very specific times. During the week, she listens to that song from approximately 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. She also listens to it from about 11:00 p.m. to 11:25 or so. Just that ONE song!! And since our walls are fairly thin, WE listen to that song over and over and over and over.

Today, she busted out Shake That around 1:30-ish and I said to J., "You know what I really want to do? I want to go over there, knock on her door, hand her a CD (any CD - I don't care - at this point I'd settle for obsessive-compulsive playing of the Ride of the Valkyries) and say, "Can we listen to something else for a while? Thanks."

J. said to let it go. Besides (he reasons), she's moving soon so we can put up with it a little bit longer. Speak for yourself, honey.

What would you do? Or what have you done? I'm interested to hear all loud neighbor stories.

4 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Oh, why do I read your blog when I'm short on time? Hell, check my blog, I'll write a post inspired by this question.

April 29, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I don't think it really matters WHAT the music is. If it's played often enough, and loud enough, it's awful. When I was a kid the dad next door used to get drunk and put on Sheherazade. Sometimes he'd get out his sax and play along. To this day I can't abide that piece. But I'm also reminded of the Evil Neighbor Lady in our old neighborhood, whose yelling at the partying college students was WAY worse than any of the noise they made.

April 29, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I AM the loud neighbor, so I would have to question my neighbors as to what they do to put up with ME. I've been practicing my flute lately from between 6-7pm and every Tuesday when American Idol is on, I spend the whole night singing. I can hear when the phone on the floor above me rings, so I can only imagine how loud I must sound to everyone else.

May 01, 2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

I have two stories. When I was a kid, we lived in a duplex, my next door neighbor used to flip out when I ran up the stairs. Shortly after I would run up the stairs you would hear bam, bam, bam on the other side of the wall. When she moved out of her side of the duplex there were hammer marks all down that side of the wall. We figured that she was just beating on the wall with her fists but apparently she was taking a hammer to it. Needless to say she didn't like us one bit.

The second is from a few years ago. I was living in my first apartment and my upstairs neighbor was a guy probably in his late thirties. He moved in one weekend and I was laying in bed and around 2 am I heard yelling. My upstairs neighbor was having a lovers brawl with his significant other. The interesting thing was that it was two male voices and they were really going at it. Once they were done with their lovers spat there was a make up session that was just as loud. My neighbor became known as GUN (gay upstairs neighbor) to my husband and I because we didn't know his real name for the longest time.

May 01, 2006 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home