Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Absent-Minded Professor

I've officially lost it. Exhibit A:

Yesterday, I could not find my car keys. Could. Not. Find. Them. I'm rummaging through every conceivable pocket in my purse - every little nook and cranny in that stupid bag that always seems too small until I can't find something and then it's this massive black hole.

I begin the "stinkin' thinkin'" (thank you, Stuart Smalley) that goes, "Gob, why do I lose everything?! Every. damn. thing. What is WRONG with me? Why can't I be more organized? I don't just need a sippy cup, I need a string to put my keys on so I can wear them around my neck. I suck."

And then, I realize, I don't need to freak out about not being able to find my car keys, because . . . they are in the ignition and I am driving.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Hee! I just spit out my soda from laughing.

July 13, 2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Huh. And I was blaming stuff like that on Mommy Brain. Maybe it happens after being exposed to scatter-brained adolescents?

I was wandering around yesterday looking for my shoes. I circled the house twice looking for them, and finally my son told me to check my feet.

My son is 2, and the shoes were on my feet. Yeah, one of my better moments.

July 13, 2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

Hee. You're not gonna believe this but just today I was in the car, digging through my bag for my cell phone so I could tell the mister I was stopping to get something to eat on my way home.

I was frantic, thinking I had lost it (the phone, I mean, ha ha) when I realized I was ON the phone. I had it in my hand, up to my ear and everything. The pizza place had put me on hold and I just ... forgot, I guess? Jeez.

July 13, 2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

I... have nothing. That is hilarious, though! Blame it on the perimenopause. You're becoming your own designated mess, Teacher Lady, next thing you know you'll be searching the bottoms of kegs and the blouses of cheerleaders for a stapler!

July 14, 2006 8:36 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

i was driving around all day recently and cursing that i couldn't find my sunglasses. then i got home and looked in the mirror. they were on my head the whole time!

July 14, 2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Nice.

I've looked for my glasses before and realized I'M WEARING THEM.

(Perhaps I should consider writing my name on my underwear in case I ever get lost without my ID?)

July 14, 2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

I take it back, Rachel, I do that all the time! Like daily. Like they're on top of my head right now.

July 14, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's hilarious. LOLOLOL

Thanks for dropping by!!!

July 14, 2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Ahhhhh... So nice to know that I am not alone...
Now, if only you can remember where you were driving to!

July 14, 2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

lol...I LOVE LOVE LOVE stories like this. Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

July 14, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Eris said...

Excellent. I am not a total retard, or if I am, at least I am in good company.

July 14, 2006 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ha ha, I have "lost" my keys that way, too!! I have also "lost" my toddler when he was riding on my shoulders. Jeez!

July 16, 2006 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home