Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Cupid & Psyche




My blog skin designer, Julie, over at Bookworm, asked this question last week: Do you have a favorite painting? And I do. It is this one. It has been this one since I saw it when I was in the eighth grade.

I won't bore you with the details, since an Art Nerd I am not, but two of the things I just love: The look on Cupid's face and the fact that he is not going to sneak away so easily: Check out his left heel caught in the sheet. Psyche is sleeping on his wing and he is probably going to trip on that bow. I wonder if there is some kind of psychological test that indicates a correlation between favorite paintings and future career choices? 'Cause if there isn't, I think there probably should be.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even before I read the last two lines of your post, I thought about the correlation. Interesting!

I love so many different paintings that I could never pick a favorite. I guess that's why I can't choose a career either, huh?

July 08, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I've always liked the Renoir painting "Girl with a Watering Can" since I bought a puzzle of it when I was on my 8th grade trip to DC (at the art museum of course). Correlation to career: I hate my job and wish I was outside watering flowers instead!

July 08, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

You learn something every day. You know, I've seen that Girl with a Watering Can painting a million times (I think we had a reproduction in our house when I was little) and I never, EVER realized she was holding a watering can. I'm observant.

July 08, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

I love this painting. What I love even more, though, is what you pointed out: he's totally going to fall on his face the minute he tries to sneak off.

July 08, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

I really like that about Davide- so subversive in some ways. And I like the implied phallus of the bow, but I'm pretty much always seeing implied phalluses (phalli?).

July 08, 2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Last summer I had the opportunity to visit Frida Kahlo's home and studio in Mexico City. There is a painting there that Diego Rivera painted for her after her death that is sooo beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of it.
I also like that Edward Hopper painting where they're sitting at the counter of a diner. I first saw that at the Art Institute of Chicago when I was in high school. Something about it is just haunting and captivating.

July 09, 2006 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, you're right, it IS a watering can! And I was just looking at a print of that painting YESTERDAY at a garage sale.

Teacher Lady, you had me snorting and choking with laughter over your description of Cupid!

July 09, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Sounds like something you need to patent. My sister is a psych student and they pay big money to buy those tests! Personally, I like VerMeer and Caravaggio. Strange combination I know but hey.

July 09, 2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Itsnopicknick said...

WEll done Julie at Bookworm - great skin! As for real art (no offence) I'm clueless. My boyfriend asked me yesterday who my favourite artist is...well tickle me with a feather - I haven't got a cooking clue!

July 10, 2006 3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home