Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Because It's Monday and Because I'm Inherently Lazy

I often e-mail the glorious creators of Rate Your Students and today, they posted one of my rants. Now my vitriol is infecting the Internet like Ebola Zaire. Woo-hoo for me and my bitterness! (By the way, in case you don't know, Bitter is the New Black. I'm not just angry for my health. I'm angry because it's in fashion.)

EDITED TO ADD: If you do go visit Rate Your Students and read my rant and you happen to be a K-12 teacher, please do not think I have no respect for you and your extremely difficult job. My mother just retired from 30 years of teaching in a very rough, urban middle school. She is the real mad grammarian and yet, her formidable skills were not enough to help these kids who had (on a good day) a third grade reading level. My rant was really more about the students and the national (it would seem) effort to make "everybody feel better." And much of it was based on the book I keep raving about - Generation Me. Perhaps I am back-pedaling a bit, yes, but again - as the daughter of a dedicated K-12 educator, I couldn't sleep at night if you all thought I was pointing the finger at you. I was pointing it at, um, gob. Yes, that's right! Gob.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

*laughs* I read my blogs in alphabetical order, so I got to RYS first, and totally recognized the email from your sidebar and came over to check to see if you'd written about it. And you did not disappoint! You should bombard them with your bitterness as often as possible; both your posts on that blog have been interesting (plus, of course, what you write here!).

October 23, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Eris said...

Point a finger at MTV, not Gob, because they are the true devils here.

Congrats on getting some recognition! You deserve it. You should write a novel based on how shoddy education is right now. With how you met your husband stories peppered in (because I am still waiting for the next installment)

October 23, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger College Misery said...

why do we always feel so naughty visiting this site?

don't be afraid to spank us if we go wrong...

xoxoxo
RYS

October 23, 2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger Alyndabear said...

I've never heard of Rate Your Students before, so thanks for pointing it out.

And I promise not to let being a Kinder-Grade 6 teacher sway me from being bitter. Hoorah!

October 23, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Rate Your Students. I love it!

Woo-hoo indeed for bitterness!

October 24, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

No offense taken- there are many times that we in the high school trenches look at our students in absolute wonder- THIS is what we have to work with? Oy.

October 24, 2006 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home