Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Why I am Embarrassed to be Part of the Human Race

My morning commute - remember, 3 years with essentially no rush hour so I'm still adjusting - makes me hate the human race. I think as a species we are ridiculous. I find nothing more maddening then driving. And stopping. Sitting. Driving 10 feet. Stopping. Sitting. My 12 mile commute sometimes takes an hour. And inevitably I find my evil brain actually HOPING for something interesting. Maybe the zoo was transporting a truckload of monkeys and they escaped! That would be exciting! I'd be willing to sit in traffic for an hour to get a look at that.

Alas, no. This morning it was three police cars pulled over onto the shoulder. The three policemen were standing outside their cars, chatting. Why you'd want to inhale exhaust fumes when you don't have to is beyond me, but maybe somebody called an urgent meeting. That's it, folks. That's the big excitement. Oooooh, aaaaaah. I guess if you don't get out much, three policemen in one place is a pretty big deal.

I give you that perhaps at one point there was something exciting - a truckload of monkeys or even an escaped python! (Can you tell my mom took a small child to the zoo yesterday? Obviously my subconscious is still thinking about this zoo visit.) But whatever it was happened to be long gone by the time I drove past. And I refuse to look. I refuse to be a gawking rubber-necker because I think it degrades us all. Wow! Shiny! Cars! People! Must. stop. and. stare for minutes. By the time I get to work I am exhausted and want nothing more than to put my head down on my desk and take a little nap.

As Mr. J. says, "Oh, boo-freakin'-hoo. Welcome to my world." So sympathy is in short supply around here.

There's a bottle of wine downstairs with my name on it. (Well, not really although that would be a nice Christmas gift.) I think I'll go pour myself a big glass of sympathy right now.

Cheers!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger The Creeper said...

I can imagine how frustrating a commute is after being blessed with instant access to work for so long. It would be like moving my ass to Grand Rapids after being mere blocks from work for, well, eons now.

October 29, 2007 10:40 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

A few years ago we had an accident here that spilled some sort of glur or epoxy or something all over the road. No one was hurt, but the emergency people had to walk through the stuff, and it kept sticking to their shoes in long trails like something out of a bugs bunny cartoon.

Now THAT was an interesting traffic jam.

October 30, 2007 6:02 AM  
Blogger Art Nerd said...

I got into an accident once because I was rubbernecking. SOO embarrassing to be the young (ish) chick in the new car who's so newsy that she crashed into the person ahead of her. OMG.

October 30, 2007 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home