Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday and Four



As I was getting ready for work today, I had Golden Girls (thank you, art.com, for the image) on in the background. Somewhere between making my coffee (or a mess, as my husband would say) and choking down my 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal (Okay. That stuff is the worst. Eating a bowl of sticks and twigs might be easier.), I had a thought: Of all the "hit shows" with women (don't ask me how I'm defining hit because I don't know - can you tell I'm in a doc program and always very defensive about not citing my sources?), just women, there were always four. Think about it:

  • Facts of Life (post-Molly Ringwald): Jo, Blair, Natalie and Tootie
  • Designing Women: 3 skinny women and Delta Burke.
  • Sex & the City: Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte
  • Little House on the Prairie (okay, this is one is a stretch, I agree): Mary, Laura, Carrie and Grace.
  • This is also true in literature. Little Women? Four. Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy.
  • And, of course, what makes it really true? (Thank you inappropriate sister school of logic!) My experience: Best college living experience? Four of us. (Shout out to the Front Quad, sis-tahs!)
Am I missing any? And, does anyone find this even remotely interesting? (I mean, besides me.)

EDITED to add: If you do find this remotely (no pun intended) interesting, perhaps you should check out this link. Now I have another "issue" to tackle. (By the way, I would never sue a cable company just because my favorite jeans no longer fit. Just wanted to be clear.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Ah but not ALL hit shows focusing on women have the magic number of 4 ladies. How about Laverne and Shirley?

March 17, 2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

You know, I thought about L&S just as I was posting this. Lots of "fab females" in pairs. Kate & Allie (loved that show!), although if you included their daughters Emma and Jenny(?) that would make four. Judging Amy? (Another show I loved that apparently died a quiet, painless death) Amy and her mom. Oh! Which reminds me! Cagney & Lacey! Lucy & Ethel! The Gilmore Girls - Lorelai and Rory! This is a fun game. My life is sad.

March 17, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

You have forgotten the uber-girl show pair: Mary and Rhoda.
(laughing at at you all while I live contentedly without a television so I can do things like play on the internet and read blogs about television, oh, um, wait, that is even sadder.)

March 17, 2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am more than remotely interested in this, considering my immediate circumstances:

My two daughters, at this very moment have two friends over. FOUR GIRLS. TOGETHER.

These girls have been best friends for four years (omigod - another FOUR - is there voodoo goin on here?) I wonder if it has something to do with what we are always told when we're younger - always have an even number so nobody gets left out? Hmmm...

(thought you would enjoy this post. I even have a link to the GG them song that will become seared into your brain.)

March 17, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

There's something about the dynamic of FOUR that just works...my favorite living arrangement had 4 people, too. Growing up I always seemed to have four very good friends at any given moment. And my next book will have 4 POV characters.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

March 19, 2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Molly Ringwald was on Facts of Life?!! I never knew that!

And,

Hello, my name is Sara and I'm a TV addict...

March 20, 2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home