Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Friday, May 19, 2006

I Look Forward to Reading Your Blog This Week

This post is a little bit about my husband, J., - wait, no, he’s really more of a Mr. J., - a little bit about me (just in case you still have, you know, questions) and a little bit about what happened to him on Tuesday. And just a little bit country and a little bit rock'n'roll.

First: In case I haven’t already mentioned it, Mr. J. and I are, from the innocent bystander’s perspective, complete opposites. Literally. We have semi-scientific proof. If you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory, you will be shocked and amazed to learn that me, Teacher Lady, an ENFP is married to Mr. J., an ISTJ. Opposites. Complete and total.

More or less, that means that:

He is introverted
I am extroverted (and then some.)
He is organized
I am a disaster
He is disciplined
I am lazy
He used to teach college-level Calculus
I can spell college-level Calculus
He prefers to have a clean house
I prefer to have a house

And there’s more, so much more! Oh, the Myers-Briggs, you cannot capture the complexity that is Teacher Lady and Mr. J.!

He is polite and formal.
I will tell people we are incapable of having children because he has an undescended testicle and my cervical mucus is hostile to his sperm.
He is a leader and manager in the workplace.
I am someone who can barely manage myself in the workplace, therefore I have no desire to manage anyone else.
He is always early or on time.
I am rarely on time – usually I am late.
He is a runner. He will run at 5:00 a.m. in the pitch dark of a December blizzard.
I will go for long walks on gorgeous spring nights if you can pry me off the couch and if you promise me lots of food, alcohol and shoe-shopping afterward.
He eats about 8 or 9 foods- all of them healthy.
I eat all foods – none of them healthy.
I saw him have a Bud Light on our anniversary in February.
I had two beers last night to celebrate the final episode of Will & Grace.
He is one of six siblings.
I am one of two siblings.
His parents got divorced when he was 3.
My parents separated when I was 20, and then got back together! (And are still together – married 37 years this September.)
His mother was a hair dresser.
My mother was an English teacher.
He balances his checkbook to the penny. Twice a month.
I don’t balance my checkbook, ever.
I went to Catholic grade school and a public university.
He went to public grade school and a Catholic university.
I blog.
He reads my blog.

Tuesday, he came home from work and said, “You’re not going to believe what happened to me today at work.” Since Mr. J. is a negative “zero” on the “spaz spectrum,” I figured he was probably right. I come home from work and say, “You’re not going to BELIEVE what happened to ME at school today!” and he’ll say, “So-and-so did her presentation and she sneezed and fell down,” and I’ll have to say, “Yeah, you’re right. Never mind.” But when he says "You won't believe this," you know you’re in for a good story. I settled in for a fabulous tale. I was not disappointed.

“So, at around 3:00, I went into the men’s room. I’m standing at the urinal and I hear this weird sound. I listen and I listen and I realize: Two students are in the stall having sex. Actually, they were finishing right as I was standing there.”

I’m not doing a good job of telling his story. But really, the punch line of this long, rambling post? After Mr. J. finishes the story he says, “I look forward to reading about it in your blog this week.” So honey, this one’s for you! Love ya!

EDITED TO ADD: If you all feel so inclined, please take the Myers-Briggs Inventory and let me know your "type." All the better to tailor my posts to you, lovely Internetweb friends!

13 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

I have to ask- male female couple or male male?

Hey, come on, I work in an art school. Where, incidentally, I fear I'm becoming part of someone's artwork frequently while in the bathroom. It happens, trust me

May 19, 2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Students having sex in the stall?!? ACK! Did he wait there to see them come stumbling out and give them a stern talking to? :)

May 19, 2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Wow! I only wish something that interesting ever happened around here. :)

May 19, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Clearly I'm exhausted and brain dead. For a minute, I thought you were asking about me and Mr. J.! Like something I wrote made him sound like a very fastidious lesbian - not that there's anything wrong with that! And it was a heterosexual couple! I just can't get past the idea of having sex in a public restroom. The germs, the germs! ACK!

May 19, 2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Germs, for real. Haha, sorry, I'm in a post graduation daze. I am INTJ, for your research.

May 19, 2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I was not actually witness to this, but we had two students at the HIGH SCHOOL where I teach get caught in the stairwell - not actually having sex, but the girl was, uh, "servicing" him. Ewwwww. I'll get back to you on the Myers -Briggs. Incidentally, my husband is at a zero on the "spaz spectrum" as well. Me? Spaz-o-rama.

May 20, 2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

For the record: ESFJ.
Word! (Oh, and the word verification this time is a doozey: shazlbe. )

May 20, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

I am an ENTJ with the focus on the anal retentive J. Antique Daddy is an I, something, something, P - which stands for Piles - piles of crap everywhere all the time. But it's fun. There should never be two Js in one house.

Love the new design.

May 20, 2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Here's mine: ISFJ

Introverted
Sensing
Feeling
Judging

I wonder what it means that I really wanted to answer "Sometimes" to many of the questions.

May 20, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

ESTJ here.

And I am impressed Mr. J reads your blog. I have asked hubby if he reads mine and his response- I already know everything that is going on!

May 20, 2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I am also an INTJ.

May 22, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Having sex in the stall?

Really?

Because that is just so wrong on so many levels.

Gag.

May 23, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Had to be male/ male. Not only do they have no requirements about comfy beds and such, they can also do it standing up.

May 26, 2006 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home