Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Weeds and Wedding Showers

Like I need a new vice. Wednesday, I was in the mood to "chill out" in the freakin' "heat emergency oh-my-gob-it's-so-hot-my-head-might-fall-off" heat and watch rented DVDs. I wanted something fun and funny. So, like the uneducated dumbass I am, I rented the first 6 episodes of season 1 of Weeds. After all, Elizabeth Perkins was just nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy. A comedy. A summary: Mary Louise Parker plays a woman whose husband dropped dead while jogging with his 10-year-old son. They live in a scary-looking Mom-bot/Stepford wife community and she wants to "maintain her lifestyle," so she becomes the neighborhood pot dealer. The writing is brilliant and the soundtrack makes me realize how little I actually know about music. However. A widow and two boys without a father. Widow and older brother are in serious denial and the 10 year old is asking to be put on Prozac or Zoloft or whatever. Elizabeth Perkins' younger daughter is overweight and she torments her poor daughter (Her daughter's name is Isabelle, but she calls her "Isabelly") every day. Death. Drugs. Drive-by shootings in the 'hood. Infidelity. Eating disorders. Financial troubles. Hahaha, hahahahahaha! Oh, the hilarity! Good times.

Yes, there are some killer funny lines and there are absolutely no sacred cows in it. I liked it so much that I totally binged on it (healthier than bingeing on a bag of potato chips - I'll take dark circles under my eyes over cellulite on my ass any day) and ran back the next day to the video store to rent the second half of season 1. Lest you remain unclear about how much I love this show, let me elucidate: I watched the special features. I even watched the episodes with the commentary on. I never do that. I've tried to do that and I find it annoying and pointless. I will ask for the soundtrack for my birthday, which is coming up. (Yippee. No mothers say, "Your child is 36? That's a fun age!") But it is not a "comedy." I don't know if I would even call it a "dark comedy." Because I cried while watching it, more than a few times. I don't think I ever cried while watching a Seinfeld episode (that I remember. Maybe, this one time, when I had too much wine) - although Seinfeld wasn't a dark comedy, apples to apples and all that, I get it. Have you ever watched Weeds? What do you think? Is it a "comedy"? Personally, I think it's a really sharp soap opera with great acting and super-cool "I can too still be hip after the age of 35 because now I know of obscure bands" music.

*****************************
Okay, I know the correct term is probably "Bridal" shower, but I likes me some alliteration. I didn't take Mr. J.'s last name. Before we got married, we discussed that probably over the years, there would be times when people would call me Mrs. J., or people might call him Mr. Teacher Lady, and we'd just laugh and be cool with it.


However. When you send me an invitation to a bridal shower, which is basically a "gimme some stuff" request in a nice envelope, you might want to be cognizant of the fact that I didn't take my husband's last name. After all, if you know me well enough to ask me for a cappuccino maker and some fluffy new towels, you know me well enough to know this. But, sometimes with extended families, the word doesn't always get around, so call me Mrs. J. - I get it, it's cool.


But, let's say for illustration's sake that Mr. J.'s last name is Smith. The invitation was addressed to Mrs. Smithington. I hate: families, bridal showers and stupid people. Not in that order.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

I've only ever seen the pilot episode of Weeds, but I did like it. I think that, like a lot of the cable shows I like, ie Six Feet Under, the Sopranos, etc- there are laugh-out-line funny parts. Comedies, though? Not so much.

Seriously, did you watch Six Feet Under? I'm not one to make unsolicited television recommendations, but seriously- good stuff.

And the whole not-taking-his-last-name? Yep, been there. I didn't for about 8 months, then had my little existential crisis, then finally compromised with a maiden as middle name situation. Nobody gets it. But adding -ington to Mr. J's last name is bizarre. Reminds me of Mr. Deeds, when Winona Ryder comes up with Winchestertonfield-ville as the name of her hometown in Iowa.

July 30, 2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Well, the solution to that "gimme stuff" invite (oh GOD do I hate weddings and everything associated with them) is to not respond. They can't even figure out your own name? They don't get cappucino maker. The end.

July 30, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Vicki Stockton said...

I totally relate! I hyphenated my last name, which I don't expect many people to 'respect' when addressing mail. However, my grandparents take it to another extreme: they address me as Mrs. Gary Smith (where Smith = his real last name). I'm like, "I don't even get a freakin' first name anymore? That totally sux. Thanks Grandma." Old farts.

July 30, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The best line ever from Weeds is when the younger son asks if he can be homeschooled and she responds with, "If I had my way no one would ever leave this house..."

I love that because I soooo feel it.

Maybe you should give the bride a little etiquette book on modern day manners. It's the job of the hostess to know these things or else we could just send everything to "occupant".

July 30, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger princessfairytoes said...

I haven't seen Weeds either, but I have just caught up on your Inappropriate Sister, which as resulted in tea coming from my nose with great force, Fantastic writting well done

July 31, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jinniyah said...

Weeds is a great show.
I bought all the episodes on iTunes.

About the bridal shower- you should send the invitation back saying "person does not exist" (which is true, right?)

By the way, I love your blog. I think this is the first time that I comment, but better late than never.

July 31, 2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I am definitely adding this one to my "need to rent" list. I love Elizabeth Perkins.
Last summer I did the same thing with Freaks and Geeks- I'd watch an episode, then watch it again with the commentary.
Do I have a life? Apparently not.

July 31, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Hey I'm new here and I want to know about the dog you saved. I'm also "joyfully child-free" and will maim the next stranger that thinks it's her business to ask me why I don't have kids. I'll have to rent Weeds - sounds good and I love Mary Louise Parker.

August 01, 2006 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home