Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday Movie Madness!

This weekend, we watched two movies:

Brick

and

11:14.

Anyone seen them?

Brick was extremely, extremely disturbing in a way that only an indie film can be disturbing. And yet, if you're in a violent, strange mood, it might be just the movie for you. I'd give it 3 demented, bloody open-wound stars (out of four.)

The blurb on the back of the 11:14 box compared it (or itself?) to Crash. No "lessons" or hard questions that can't be answered, but the design of the movie (one event shows how many people in this small crappy town are linked) was supposedly similar. And? For a movie I'd never even heard of before Friday night, some very well-known actors - Barbara Hershey, Patrick Swayze and Hilary Swank for cripes sake! I think it also had something in common with the movies Sliding Doors and Memento, if only from a "we're really gonna mess with the time-space continuum and if you don't pay rapt attention, you'll be so completely confused you won't even know if you liked it or not." Although Mr. J. and I had to pause it at least half a dozen times to check in and confirm details about what the hell had just happened, I liked it. And less than an hour and a half long. I liked THAT a lot. I give it three and a half very disoriented stars (out of 4.) Rated R for one of the creepiest sex scenes I've seen in a long time.

What did you watch this weekend?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger saintseester said...

Gee, it has been way too long since I've had time to even sit down and begin to watch a movie. Sad me. But keep reviewing them, I can kid myself that I might have time soon...

November 20, 2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I guess I'm a fairly twisted person, because I thoroughly enjoyed Brick ... I was impressed with how it managed to make a successful film noir in the high-school setting

November 21, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

On your recommendation, we ordered "Weeds" from Netflix, and watched the first half of Season 1. Loved it loved it loved it. Elizabeth Perkins and Mary Louise Parker are such great, under-used actresses, Kevin Nealon is hilarious, the kids are not smartasses that make the adults look like inept morons.
Mr. T and I also do the pause and check in when we watch movies. I kind of like those movies- makes ya think.

November 21, 2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Wow - Mrs. T, I'm so flattered that you took my recommendation (and a little nervous - what if you hated it and thought I was a loser?). I'm curious, have you seen Iron-Jawed Angels yet?

November 21, 2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home