Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Winner

A brief return to posts about students:

Yesterday, a student told me she had to leave class early because of a "last-minute beauty pageant."

Was she invited to participate at the last minute? Was the pageant put together at the last minute? "Hey, it's Friday afternoon. What could we do?" "I know, we could have a beauty pageant!" "Yeah, cool!"

I don't know and I don't want to know. Hence, I didn't ask. I don't think I even blinked (two years ago, my eyes would have bugged out and then fallen out of my head.) I smiled and said, "Okay. See you next week."

Would someone please let me know what planet this is and when the next shuttle comes so I can get back to earth? Thanks.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

I have a "last minute fashion show" almost every other day as I try to find something in my closet to wear. Perhaps a "last minute beauty pageant" is a trip to the spa with her girlfriends?

November 11, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

It[s (former) Prez Clinton's ..Leave no Dang Moron Behind... especially one who may be a page.. rofl

Syb

PS.. now You be Blawgin;!!

November 11, 2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger Alyndabear said...

Last minute? Um. I'm puzzled. You know what, I don't want to know either.

I hope she wins, though! Maybe she'll thank her understanding teacher for letting her off early.. and then you'll be even MORE famous!

November 11, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

At least it wasn't an emergency beauty pageant.

What does one do at a last minute beauty pageant? Maybe they dump a bunch of trash on a table and you have to construct a dress in a set amount of time? A la Project Runway? Hmmmm

November 11, 2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Did she have to drive to Redondo Beach in a beat up VW bus with her parents, brother who has taken a vow of silence until he joins the air-force, suicidal homosexual uncle who is the nation's premiere Proust scholar and heroin sniffing grandfather?
P.S. Honk if you get the "Little Miss Sunshine" reference. If you have not yet seen this movie, you must add it to the TOP of your list.

November 12, 2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

My guess is that she's a second-string contestant. One of the real beauty pageant contestants fell mysteriously ill and so she got called in off the bench. Just a guess from someone who is proud to know nothing of beauty pageants.

November 12, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that when I guiltily watched "Girls Next Door" and saw the student-girlfriend try to reschedule a test with her professor because of a photoshoot, I thought of you and your students.

I did not realize it was foreshadowing.

November 12, 2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger kontan said...

Found you from Tense Teacher and enjoyed my visit. Many laughs and and nods of agreement. Have a great week...

November 12, 2006 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home