Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lame-O for NaBloPoMo

I'm really scrapin' the bottom of the barrel here, folks. Apparently, my rants need at least two or three days to fester in my brain and THEN I can blog my little heart out.

All I have to say are these 2 VITs (that's Very Important Things):

VH1 is showing a "100 Best Songs of the 80s" and since I am a child/teenager/college student of the 80s, I felt it was important for me to at least watch the top 20. Number 1? Best song of the eighties?!!? An entire decade and the best VH1 could come up with was . . . Livin' On a Prayer by Bon Jovi. I'm sorry,what!???! Then I realized that viewers had voted and my guess was only 13 year olds boys voted because seriously.

The EIGHTIES, dudes!!!!! With Prince and Madonna and REM and The Cure and Edie Brickell and Depeche Mode and New Order and Yaz and Cindy Lauper and The Pet Shop Boys and all that glorious alternative/electronica and dance/party music (who could forget, "Living in the Wild, Wild West" or "Waitin' for a Star to Fall"?) and Janet Jackson and Bobby Brown (pre-crazy) and Paula Abdul (DEFINITELY pre-crazy) and Fine Young Cannibals and Nenah Cherry and The B-52s . . . (and that's pretty much just my freshman year of college) And yet? Bon frickin' Jovi. Excuse me while I kill myself.

Next: I just started reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer and oh. my. GOB. Why has no one told me about this book? How has it been out since 2005 and I'm just now reading it? I started it around 6:30 this evening (hence, another last-minute post) and put it down only grudgingly to continue with my little NaBloPoMo delusion of posting every day this month. I am seriously contemplating staying up all night to finish it (the book, not all my remaining NaBloPoMo posts, which would count as cheating), which would be a mistake for SO many reasons, but yet . . . discipline and self-control are NOT my strong points. So we shall see. Perhaps my post tomorrow will be a little book report.

Later, dudes!!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Alyndabear said...

As much as I love me some hot Bon Jovi, I don't think that song ought to be number 1. I prefer Dead or Alive myself.. haha. *starts humming*

My friend has that book, yet I haven't read it - is it worth me buying, or waiting?

I value your opinion, Teacher Lady!

November 09, 2006 1:46 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

For some reason, Bon Jovi still sticks in the heart/memories of people from that generation. (I was around during the eighties, I loved and continue to love the music, but I was too young for it to be "my generation.") My sister's boyfriend is still a raging Bon Jovi fan and goes to all their concerts. It's really weird and disturbing.

And Bon Jovi does sort of embody the eighties: the big hair, the bad fashion, and the over-the-topness. *shrug* Heck, MY generation is typified by N*Sync! To my mind, you got off easy.

November 09, 2006 3:01 AM  
Blogger Eris said...

Two Words:

Oingo and Boingo.

Gah, VH1 sucks.

November 09, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

We watched that countdown and -- like you -- looked at each other like, "The hell?" when it was over. I mean, I know there are also some odd choices in these things, but come on.

November 09, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger Jhianna said...

I get all nostalgic about Livin' On a Prayer, but I don't think I'd put it in the top 10. Okay, maybe 10, but definitely not top 5.

I'll add the book to my must-read list. I think I'm down to 50 or so of those. Never enough time for reading!

November 09, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

I was suprised VH1 could come up with "100 Greatest Songs of the 80s". Obviously, they were grading on a curve. Seriously, Menudo?

Definitely worth it for the trip down memory lane though. How much hair spray was used in the 80s, for God's sake? Not to mention blue & purple eye shadow. *shudder*

November 09, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Ok, in 2004, I took my girls-then ages 4 and 6- to see John Edwards and John Bon Jovi appear at one of our local high schools the night before the election. I've gotta tell you, I was never a big Bon Jovi fan, but he is hot. He played "Livin' on a Prayer"- unplugged. Dreamy.
I watched that special , too. Love VH1.

November 09, 2006 11:03 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Hey Alyndabear,

Wait - don't buy. Just finished it yesterday morning. The writing was quirky and interesting, but . . . my earlier enthusiasm didn't last for the whole entire book. Then again, what the hell do I know? I don't even have my own advice column. Yet.

November 10, 2006 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home