Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Public Service Announcement

I don't have any children (that I know of). I have never adopted anybody - unless you count my dog, so let me clarify: I have never adopted any humans.

However, I love Barren Karen of The Naked Ovary. Even though I've never struggled with infertility and I've never gone through the pins-and-needles waiting for a referral from the CCAA, her blog is addictive and fascinating.

Perhaps one of the reasons I adore her so much is because she is probably the only other person in the blogosphere - no, in the world - who has to deal with as many asshats as I do. She, too, must have the "Freak Magnet" thing written on her forehead in glitter glue.

I don't know why I'm still amazed at the things perfect strangers (and some not-so-perfect "unstrangers" who should know better) decide to ask. I suppose I should be used to it by now. Yet, I still end up shocked and just stand there, slack-jawed and stammering. I'm George Costanza, who, two days after someone said, "Hey George, the ocean called and they're running out of shrimp" comes up with, "Yeah? Well the jerk store called and they're running out of you!" Definitely not that funny and clearly not timely.

But since Karen has adopted her gorgeous daughter, MP, people have felt comfortable asking her all sorts of obnoxious questions. And it's upsetting to her. And it's rude. Although, many of us honestly blurt out things and have no idea we're even being rude.

So, if you're like me and occasionally stick your foot in your mouth (at least I can say I have never said to a non-pregnant woman, "Congratulations!!! When are you due?" unlike some people), go read Karen's latest post and brush up on your "stranger etiquette." Look at me, I think I'll invent a new word: Your stretiquette. Peace, y'all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Such the girl scout, Teacher Lady! Though strettique sounds like a gynecological instrument. Maybe you should have one on your blog skin?

November 05, 2006 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home