Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

The First! The Last! The Only . . .

Recipe ever posted by Teacher Lady!

I'm not much of a baker. Wait. That just won the medal for understatement of the universe. I bake exactly twice a year. That's about all anyone can handle of my baking. I do not find baking enjoyable or relaxing. I find it extremely stressful. Then again, you're reading about someone who has managed to ruin rice, so lots of times I'm just afraid of starting a kitchen fire.

Yesterday, got to talking with a friend about delicious foods and I found myself boasting - me! boasting about my culinary abilities! - about the only thing I really bake. And I only bake it on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings. Perhaps that is why I love them so much; they are truly a rare occurrence, like a blue moon or Jessica Simpson without a tan.

The recipe is from an out-of-print cookbook called 'Tis the Season: A Vegetarian Christmas Cookbook. I present to you, my famous in my own mind White Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Muffins (best served with a cup of coffee and an unimpeded view of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade):

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool slightly
2 eggs
1 cup white chocolate chips (personally, the one cup is a minimum - I usually go totally nuts with both the chips and the cranberries, but equal amounts of both must be used!)
1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries

Spray 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. In separate bowl, beat milk, butter and eggs together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture, along with the white chocolate chips and cranberries, and fold together. Fill muffin cups three-quarters full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Cool on wire rack before serving.
Makes 12 muffins.

No lie - these are the ONLY muffins that taste even better the next day. I don't know why. Must be all the holiday magic and booze.

If you make these, please let me know. Well, only let me know if you loved 'em. A gal can only take so much criticism and I try to keep that confined to my work.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Erika said...

Here is why I don't bake: why do you have to spray the tin with nonstick spray if you are putting them in cups anyway?

November 02, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Erika - no cups! The non-stick spray does WONDERS.

November 02, 2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dried cranberries (aka Craisins) or fresh?

November 02, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

I used Craisins once in a pinch, and it just wasn't the same. Very "blah." Fresh makes a HUGE difference!

November 02, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Mmmm. Sounds good. I'll be over.

PS my sister is a security manager at Macy's here, and she has to work at the parade- they all do. WEIRD! I hope she doesn't miss the bird, though she's trying to get assigned to guard the cast of the Sopranos. Shrug!

November 02, 2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

I like that yr writing every day, but I hope you will soon return to Inappropriate sistah and such.. What's the chance?

November 03, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Sadly, Mex, not much of a chance at this time. Person from my university still appears to be lurking on a daily basis. Per Fraulein N.'s instructions, I'm trying to "lay low" (more or less.)

November 03, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Hey, TL, I read here every day and was shocked! shocked! to see a recipe from you! So I promptly made the muffins because I've had 1/2 of a bag of cranberries sitting in my frig begging to be put to some good use. My oldest daughter loved the muffin she had for her after school snack (are you getting a warm domestic glow? no? maybe a wave of nausea?) and asked if she could have another one after dinner. My youngest daughter ... well, she just went excavating for the chips, but she's a three year old freak whose opinion can't be trusted.

So thanks for the recipe!

November 03, 2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Gwen, did you hear that? It's the sound of devils ice skating because hell just froze over. Ha, ha! Anyway, glad you liked 'em!!

November 03, 2006 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home