Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Newest Goal

Remember how I said I was going to start naming National Weeks?

Well, I think that's my new goal. To name a week, every week. Plus, I have to teach in about 3 hours and I can't think of anything else I should be doing right now.

Next week will be . . . National Blog About Your Favorite Under-rated or Low Profile Actor Week.

Here are some guidelines:

This actor should not be featured in People Magazine on a regular basis. And NOT on the cover; NEVER on the cover.

There probably has not been an E! True Hollywood Story about this person.

This person probably does not have a "combo" name like Brangelina or Bennifer II or Vaughniston or . . . you get the picture.

A regular presence on the Red Carpet? Not your favorite under-rated actor. (Is underrated hyphenated? I don't know. I don't think so now, but it looks weird all together like that.)

This person should also not be so obscure that only the brightest art film snobs will know of whom you blog.

For now, let us stick to both big and small screen actors. Perhaps we will do another week where we discuss that Great White Way.

For my entry (I'm getting a head start on next week, see), I give you:

Alan Rickman.

I love him. I love him as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter Series. I love him as Harry in Love Actually. I love him as Metatron in Dogma. And I love, love, LOVE him in the HBO movie Something The Lord Made. (Add to your Net Flix Queue - you won't be sorry!)

That's all. See how easy it was? Let me know when you blog about your favorite under-rated actor. You know, in honor of the National Week and all.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know that I could write an entire blog post about my favorite underrated actor, so I'll just tell you who he is right here... Gary Oldman. He was Dracula, the bad guy in The Fifth Element; he played Sirius Black in Harry Potter, and so on, and so on. I LUV (that's so much better than just love) him!

January 17, 2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger saintseester said...

I LOVE Alan. He was the best thing, the only thing worth watching in that Kevin Costner Movie: Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.

And I remember getting in a heated argument with my aunt when that movie was out because she kept insisting Alan Rachins (from L.A. Law) was in it. NOOOOOO. Alan Rickman.

January 17, 2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger Silliyak said...

Can we include deceased actors? or maybe that could be a separate week.

January 17, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Something the Lord Made is a great movie! Has one of my favorite rappers in it, too- Mos Def. Wonderful!

I will let you know when I write about mine. Hmmmm, I have crushes on so many little-known actors, it'll be tough to narrow down. Is little-known hyphenated? What's the rule for hyphenating? Ack!

January 17, 2007 4:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I'm in . I will think on it and post next week.
Love Alan Rickman.- esp. in Love Actually.

January 17, 2007 6:02 PM  
Blogger Fresh Hell, Texas said...

Alan Rickman is a good choice. He was my favorite part of the Harry Potter movies.

I always get a brain freeze on these types of questions. It'll come to me later.

January 17, 2007 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea!

I like Alan Rickman's acting.

I think I'll go start my post now and save it for next week. Hopefully mine isn't too obscure.

January 17, 2007 8:40 PM  
Blogger NG said...

I'm not sure I can actually take you up on the challenge because you stole mine. Love love love Alan Rickman in anything he does. Dogma is one of my all time favorite movies and it's 90% because of his line delivery.

Bethany: Were they sent to Hell?
Metatron: Worse. Wisconsin. For the entire span of human history.

January 18, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Kimmy753 said...

Alan Rickman..good one! Mine can be located at kimmy753.blogspot.com

January 18, 2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger B.C. Barnes said...

Mine is Kathryn Joosten, linked below and found at my blog

http://bcbarnes.blogspot.com/2007/01/national-blog-about-your-favorite.html

Link doesn't seem to be working

January 18, 2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Great choice. He does classy/creepy/funny so well.

I will mull one over.

January 18, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger yoo hoo said...

I have one, but I am sure no one has seen him. I will write about him because he came from my home town and I know his parents. Intrigued? He's even been in some big movies....Mission Impossible 3, was the latest. hee hee

January 18, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger Tizzie said...

I LOVE Alan Rickman too...I thought I was the only one!!!

There's a film his in where he's a hairdresser, I can't remember the title but I really love it!!!

January 18, 2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Jhianna said...

Mine is Edward Norton - and here's my blog post for NBAYFLPA Week (I love it)

http://marginallybright.blogspot.com/2007/01/nbayflpa-week.html

January 26, 2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Patashoqua said...

I don't know if you still read this, but I just stumbled on your blog.
Anyway, since you study human sexuality, you should check out the phenomenon of erotic fan fiction. I think you will find that Alan Rickman (a.k.a. Severus Snape) is almost universally lusted after.
But put on a helmet and a raincoat before googling the relevant terms; it can get pretty freaky out there.

February 06, 2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't even know how I meandered into Snape fic...but there was one surprisingly good piece, which combined with my chronic insomnia and short term access to high speed (hotel), led me to discover this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7A_bJFZNXE

The song does nothing for me alone (too forced with the rhyming scheme), but the video's quite evocative, and it's a beautiful, brief demonstration of Alan Rickman's talented and subtle manipulation of expression to convey a tremendous range of emotions and thoughts. He never says a word; he never needs to. Plus, hot tango action! So really, nothing not to like. And now I have a completely unfruitable yen for Rickman, despite no actual knowledge about him, other than that he's married and twice my age.

My video queue runneth over. Maybe that'll cure me. I may even watch Robin Hood again. I can fast forward over the Costner bits. I'd like to see the alleged edits from that one.

February 18, 2007 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home