Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

You Think You Have It Bad?

I've decided to compile a list called, "Things People Just Should Not Say. Ever." I invite you to help me.

Here's the very first thing on the list. Last week I caught up with an old friend of mine. She asked how things were going on the home remodeling front. "Ugh." I said. "I no longer have a stove and refrigerator in my living room, but still no kitchen sink. We've been using the utility tub in the basement as our kitchen sink, with the top of the dryer as the drying rack. We also have (literally) no counter top, so the coffee maker and the blender for my breakfast smoothies sits on top of the dryer. The basement laundry room has been our kitchen for two months now and it is driving me insane!"

Her response, "You think you have it bad? That's nothing. My sister had to use her basement as her kitchen for a year and she has four kids! Try that!"

Um, no thanks, and can't I just be irritated with my own situation without being reminded that someone else will always have it worse? Thank you.

Why do people have to do that? "That's nothing. Listen to this!?" Oh, you couldn't sell your house and had two mortgages for three months - that's nothing! So-and-so had two mortgages for a million years and then they had to eat dog food and then her husband got cancer from eating dog food and then their dog went on a hunger strike in protest and then their toddler got a rash from the carpet fibers and the dog was so depressed he finally threw himself off a bridge and then they had no dog and no one would give them a dog because, hey, who's going to give a dog to a family that makes a dog suicidal? So it could always be worse.

6 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

HATE. Hate when people do that.

LOVE. Love the new design! Specula, yay!

May 20, 2006 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah that one made me definitely laugh out loud.

and love the new design!!!

May 20, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Gotta love that competitive spirit.

But you think that is bad, you should have heard... just kidding.

May 20, 2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I had a friend like that- if I had a miserable cold, she had PNEUMONIA, if I had housecleaning to do, her house was a DISASTER. No one ever worked as hard as she did, had less money, was burned by stupid boyfriends.....
It sort of reminds me of that old Billy Crystal schtick on SNL where he'd sit around with his dopey friend and say "Don't you hate when you cut yourself in an meat grinder and then someone comes along and pours battery acid all over it? Yeah, I HATE when THAT happens..."

May 21, 2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

I've decided to never ever ask anyone in a store "Do You Work Here?" Because the answer always seems to be no and then I say "Well, thank you anyway." And that is another very stupid meaningless thing to say. Thank you for not working here.

May 22, 2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Angela Chen Shui, "The Soul Alignment Coach" said...

Hilarious!!!!

Mix between cheering and shutting us up, I suppose!

Thanks for the laugh!

Angela.

May 23, 2006 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home