Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

So Many Gripes, So Little Time

Big changes in the life of Teacher Lady, y'all.

I am officially going back to Corporate America. That's right, bitches! I've been interviewing for a "real" full-time gig, complete with benefits and a 401k for a while now. I start the 8-5 grind the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

I have very mixed feelings about this and the day I got the job offer I wasn't exactly leaping for joy. And that was also the same day I posted final grades. So of course within about 6 hours, I got this pleasant little e-mail:

Mrs. Teacher Lady,Why is it that I checked my final grades 2 days ago and I had a Final Grade of a B in your class and today I check and it dropped to a C+? Joe You-Work-For-Me-And-Don't-You-Forget-It

I responded politely and professionally (believe it or not!) like so:

Good morning, Joe!I'm not quite sure. I download the electronic gradebook from WebCT Vista weekly, and most recently, I have your final score at 435. If you check the syllabus, you'll see that 435 lands within the high end of the C+ range of 418-439. Did I fail to enter one of your exam or reaction paper scores? If so, please help me out and we'll get this fixed. Teacher Lady

Of course, I was right and he was hallucinating but I didn't want to be unnecessarily bitchy and point that out. Do you THINK for one second I heard back from the punk? Something along the lines of, "Wow. I guess my e-mail had a really accusatory tone and I didn't realize it and also, since I missed ALL the classes between the first and second midterm which means I missed 5 out of 10 quizzes and since I didn't even HAND IN one of the three papers due, I guess a C+ is a damn good grade"? No. Of course not.

Mr. J., who is intimately familiar with such e-mails and much less reactionary than I am said he didn't think the e-mail from Joe had anything wrong with it and I was just reading too much into things. His exact words, "I don't think it sounds demanding or accusatory." On one hand, Mr. J. is so often the much-needed voice of reason in my life, this could be very true. On the other hand, I KNOW this student. This SAME student who came to me groveling before the second midterm with this sob story about how he bit off more than he could chew this semester and he really needed to do well on the second midterm and did I think he could do well enough to save his grade so he wouldn't have to drop the class? He did really well on the second midterm and I thought we had cleared things up, except for every subsequent class when he did show up, he spent the whole time leaning forward and whispering into the ear of the hot little sorority honey sitting in the desk in front of him.

Now although I bitch endlessly about my students, for the MOST part, they get how insane I am (well, in general, of course) about not talking when anyone else is talking. And yet, every week, dirty looks, calling on him, asking him questions, doing everything but grabbing him by the scruff of the neck and throwing him out of the classroom . . . nothing. He insisted on having conversations with HSH throughout the entire 3-hour class. If I weren't afraid of getting sued, fired or ending up on the local news, I would have said, "Dude. Go buy a condom already and get it over with. You're disrupting my class."

So, it is with mixed emotions that I bid farewell to the classroom. I may return next year in the spring if my schedule permits, because I truly do enjoy my actual time in the classroom. It's everything else teaching involves that I hate.

As always, Rate Your Students summed it up for me. Check this out.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Eris said...

Wow! Back to the corporate grind! I myself am in 8-5 (7-7) hell and imagine myself doing almost anytihng else on earth to get the hell out of here. Ditch digging anyone? I hope that it offers a nice break for you, some perspective, or hell, just a setting where you can be blunt with idiots and tell them to F off.

Good luck my dear. Glad you are still alive.

May 24, 2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger BJ Knapp said...

I know the mixed feelings about going back to the corporate grind. 7 months ago I sold my dive shop and went back to it. The paycheck is nice (I didn't pay myself at the shop) but I dearly miss being my own boss and doing what I loved.

Good luck with the new gig.

May 25, 2007 9:01 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

I haven't worked in the corporate world for a while, but I kinda remember it as being filled with lots of people who don't show up, don't give a damn, have no manners, expect to get promoted and then because of who they know, they miraculously do. Sorta sounds like the classroom.

May 27, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Congratulations on the new job. I hope it is satisfying - or at least the paycheck is. there is a long and respectable history of people earning a living doing one thing and keeping their academic interests as a personally-rewarding hobby. I wish you all the best.

May 29, 2007 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally taking your side on that email, fyi

got here from http://onethingihateabouttoday.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

Hi, it's Snoskred here. I'm just dropping by to let you know that I read your blog with google reader whenever you update, and that I enjoy your blog. I'm re-doing my links on my blog, and I have linked to you in the sidebar.

Congrats on the real job, I hope it all goes well. And Joe sounds like he deserves less than a C+ and also may be in need of eyeglasses. :)

You're in the US, you might want to join the US Blogs Community on Bumpzee. I've really found some great new blogs from it (and the Australian version of it) and am enjoying it. ;) http://www.bumpzee.com/us-blogs/

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

June 03, 2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

Congrats and good luck!

And yes, Joe deserves a good pimp-slap (verbal or otherwise). Personally, it's the "Why is it..." that has me grinding my teeth. What a little snot.

June 05, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Angel - Having a Nemesis said...

I keep checking your blog to see if you've been updating it...

August 07, 2007 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home