Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

I am procrastinating

"So what else is new?" my husband might ask. I have to teach in less than two hours. Today is the chapter on male reproductive structures. This is the class where some poor unfortunate chap always volunteers the information that he once "broke" his penis. Or something along those lines. Tuesday, during female reproductive structures, I passed around a plastic (NEVER USED) speculum, and the nausea of the male students was not just visible but almost audible as well. Come on, boys! Most of you came into this world THROUGH a vagina, most of you are straight (or so it would seem) and spend much of your free time trying to get your fellow female students to at least show you their vaginas, so why on earth does a never before used speculum make you want to puke? Perhaps that is an issue for a women's studies class. But it is these two chapters in particular that make me feel like I am teaching a sixth grade hygiene course and not an upper-division college course on human sexuality.

2 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Once, instead of passing my husband a pen, like he'd asked, I passed him a completely sealed and totally unused tampon from my purse. Purely accidental. But he turned white as a ghost, as if I'd Donita Sparks'd him!

February 02, 2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Maybe they're still afraid of getting cooties. After all, that Cooties game from the seventies was kind of creepy. Maybe they're still traumatized.

February 03, 2006 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home