Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Wedding Dress


Ha, ha. As if. Today is my third wedding anniversary. That wonderful day in 2003, I wore a red strapless satin Jessica McClintock gown. I tried to find a picture of it on the Internet, and this is the only red strapless satin Jessica McClintock "gown" (I use the term loosely) image I could find. Not the same. (And boy have things changed in 3 years; I'm glad I got married when I did. 2006 sure does seem to be the year of the ruffle. Yikes. "Do you, miss Ruffle, I mean, satin explosion, I mean, the dress that ate New York, take this poor unsuspecting man. . .")I'd like to think I looked glamorous in an elegant, romantic way, not like an Alicia-Silverstone-rock-the-cradle-of-love-video vixen.


A few of my favorite moments from that day (there were many, but in the interest of not putting any readers to sleep):

  • Spending an insane amount of time (typically at work) poring over the Going Bridal website. She postponed her wedding about a month after I got married and had she done so before I got married, I'm not sure I would have made it. The Calvalcade of Bad Bridal Fashion got me through many a near bridal meltdown.
  • Having my "girl time" at the salon - getting manicures and pedicures with my gal pals. I still remember the color I had my toenails painted - OPI (of course) silver. I bought myself the whole bottle (in case touch-ups were necessary), only to drop it on ceramic tile and have it explode all over our foyer months later. I think it was called "Kyoto Pearl." Whatever it was called, I loved it and I'm completely bummed that they don't make it anymore.
  • Checking in at the Ritz; my husband-to-be was already checked in and out on a run (I know.) The very nice front desk clerk was inexplicably confused by our situation and I said, "Please, you have to let me in our room. I'm getting married in three hours." And a very nicely dressed man standing behind me said, "You're amazingly calm for someone who's getting married in three hours." I don't know why, but I was very flattered.
  • A nice employee at the Ritz who delivered a beautiful cake (heart-shaped, I believe and in the same colors and flavors as our wedding cake) to our room - a gift from my wonderful friend and matron of honor (and her husband) - the first of many wonderful surprises that evening.
  • Walking into our wedding/reception space and feeling like I was walking onto a movie set. My wedding planner (and friend) had purchased 75 red roses and rose petals were everywhere. I thought the effect was stunning.
  • Dancing with my husband to "At Last" - and we didn't really have a dance floor or dancing per se, so it was even more romantic.
  • Eating! I vowed that this would not be like my disastrous first wedding (and first marriage, but again, another story) and I would actually eat the food. Bring on the garlic mashed potatoes served in large martini glasses. The best!
  • It was really, truly, the happiest day of my life. Perfect. If I get around to it, I may post the menu later. (Can you tell the food was really, really important to me?)

1 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Oh yeah, you know I ate at my wedding too! I loved the food, I still dream about this mozzarella stuffed chicken. I was kind of disappointed that, as a family, we decided that the extendeds would be more comfortable with a buffet. But it was well worth it to have all! those! leftovers! to come home to!

February 15, 2006 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home