Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

What kind of crazy mailing list am I on?

Yesterday, I got an e-mail (my first), not delivered to my bulk e-mail box, that read:

Hispanic Dating. Meet Your Hispanic Match. Don't be alone on Valentines (their punctuation, not mine) Day. Lots of Hispanic singles.

I am reviewing all the things I have purchased in the past month (or year, I don't know) that might have landed me on the "Hispanic Singles" demographic mailing list. I am neither Hispanic nor single (not that there's anything wrong with either one of those things. I just happen to be "non-Hispanic" white and married.)

Oh. My. God. I think I just got it - for my qualitative research class, we have to read this book (one of four, just for this class, I might add. Hey, grad school is hard. This is actually a joke. That is a secret - or maybe not so secret - pet peeve of mine. I cannot stand grad students who actually sound surprised and whine about how hard grad school is. My totally uneducated-sounding response is typically, "Duh.") called Subtractive Schooling: U.S.-Mexican Youth and the Politics of Caring. And you know what? I bought it from amazon.com!!!! Those bastards over at Amazon are selling my e-mail address (and now you're thinking "Duh.") and my book purchases to everybody and their brother. Or everybody and el hermano, apparently. Who knew?

Adios, mi amigos!

2 Comments:

Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Now I'm sitting here trying to recall any book about drugs that I might have bought from Amazon that would result in my inbox being bombarded with online pharmacy emails. Hrm

February 12, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Lauren, my amigo, be honest: Am I being ridiculous and paranoid? Is the "Hispanic Singles" e-mail just a wayward spam that found its way to me (hopefully not the whitest white lady who ever lived (see post about one of the songs nominated for best song from a motion picture))? It just seems like a really interesting coincidence because I swear, I just ordered that book a week ago, and then lo and behold, I am a Hipsanic single. And, I have never received an e-mail like that before.

February 12, 2006 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home