Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Friday, February 17, 2006

A T-Shirt Makes Me Sad

One of my students (male) sported a t-shirt that read, "I Survived My Broken Heart." And I wasn't sure how to respond to that. Was he serious!? Was he really proud that he had survived his broken heart? (And don't get me wrong - if that's not something to be proud of, I don't know what is.) Was he being ironic? (Or as some people who should be shot like to say, "Ironical.") Is this a quote from a movie that I do not know? I really wanted to just give him a hug, but I also do not want to get sued or fired. So I overrode my hugging impulse. Although I frequently embarrass myself by doing (and saying) stupid things, I did not comment on his shirt. Because what if I said, "Gee, I'm so sorry about your broken heart" and he said, "It's a joke. Exactly how stupid are you?" Or what if I said something along the lines of, "I see you've survived your broken heart; I commend you!" and he said, "I thought I was over it, but I'm not," and burst into tears? I know that just a few short days ago, I was whining about all the different ways I know I'm not young and bemoaning the loss of my youth and blah, blah, blah, but you know what? I wouldn't go back to my 20s for a million dollars. Make that a ba-zillion dollars. Way too much angst. And, as evidenced by my student, so much angst you are wearing it on your sleeve. Or your chest, to be more precise.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabel said...

I don't "get" it either. You are not alone!

March 02, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Okay, good. That shirt still mystifies me. I know I'll see it at least one more time this semester.

March 02, 2006 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home