Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why I Love Rate Your Students

Believe it or not, I've sort of come to the conclusion that I actually like students. They may be maddening, uneducated, poor writers, rude and badly behaved, but at least with traditional-age college students, what you see is pretty much what you get. Except for bat-shit crazy. Not too many people actually appear to be bat-shit crazy, so that's always somewhat of a shocker.

Even with all the crazy stories, dying relatives, strange excuses, odors and bizarre pajamas masquerading as clothes, they're still better to be around than many university administrators. No - I didn't slip on a patch of black ice and smack my head on the ground - I guess what's been going on with my classroom lately has really given me a new found empathy for students and what they have to go through. Man, if I spent several grand on a class and had no desk??! I would probably do absolutely nothing but bitch about it on this blog, but you get the idea.

However. I still am not jazzed about some students evaluating my work and here's why. Rate Your Students nails it, every time!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well .. you know my thoughts on this in light of my recent evals about giving a final during finals week. And man...what's up with the pajamas? Actually, I think I'm just jealous that I can't get away with wearing them to work and out in public.
Hugs..Kimmy

January 22, 2007 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be pissed to fork over my hard-earned cash for a class only to find out that they've stuck me in a room where I do not have a desk. And yes, students are easier to deal with than administrators. If you had administrators that, you know, say, backed you up a little, it might be nice.

And I've blogged about my favorite Underrated Actor today.

January 22, 2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger Art Nerd said...

I've also done my duty. hehe, duty.

I haven't gotten my evals yet. I'm so scared to see. I feel an ulcer coming on.

January 22, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger College Misery said...

And we of course love you...

January 23, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

If I were your student, I'd rate you as highly as possible.

Some of my dad's students have rated him. Pretty favorably, I might add. :) He's lucky.

January 25, 2007 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home