Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just When I Thought I Had Run Out of Things to Whine About!

One Day Only! All new fresh complaints!

Disclaimer: Believe it or not, I occasionally try to keep things in perspective. I do realize that if this is the biggest problem in my life right now I'm pretty damn lucky.

For those of you who teach at universities, I'd be interested to know how the classroom situation works on your campus.

I typically teach in the same building as my office/department. It's very nice. Every room (permanently) has all the A/V equipment my technologically-challenged little heart could desire. Even when I have my heavy bags of Play-Doh or my giant collection of feminine-hygiene products, I can just run up and down a few flights of stairs and make two trips. (Although Mr. J. likes to remind me I should never run up or down stairs - especially not with the shoes I wear!)

For some reason, this semester I was assigned to a new building. And not just any building - the sparkly, new, "Hey look at me! I'm an EXPLOSION of technology!!" building. Tried to get my class switched back to my building, but to no avail. Okay. This will be a challenge for me, but I can try to be a little flexible for once in my life.

Until. I found out how this building works. It is easier to get into the Pentagon, it would seem. The super-pimped out classrooms are kept locked at all times. Because I do not work for the psychology department, I am not allowed to have a key. Hence, every day before class, I must traverse the length of this massive building to have the secretary let me into the classroom.

Then, I must sign out the "A/V" cart (interesting, isn't it? The building is all pimped out so the students can watch on a giant screen - that descends gracefully from the ceiling in all its electronic glory - if I wanted to surf the 'net for the whole class, but there is ONE DVD player in the whole damn building and it's kept in a (locked) closet next to the secretary's desk.) Then I must wheel this cart (can't wait) through the building (including a ride in the elevator) to my classroom. When I am finished, I must return this equipment. WAAAH! Just typing this I realize how lame I sound.

But, I just went from walking down two flights of stairs five minutes before class, knowing my classroom would have everything I need, to adding 30 minutes to my prep time. No - that's not even "prep" time - it's just "getting into my damn classroom" time. I lost a half an hour and I want it back!!!!

Yeah, yeah, my life is so hard. I know. I'm obnoxious.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Fraulein N said...

Okay, one DVD player? That's just stupid. They don't even cost that much at this point. I'd be mad if something silly was making me lose time, too.

January 18, 2007 1:50 PM  
Blogger Addy N. said...

Hey Teacher Lady:
Maybe you've already looked into this, but could you play DVDs on the computer? I'm assuming it's a new computer, since the building is so fancy! And I can relate to being annoyed about setting up for class. I teach in my own building and only ONE of the rooms I teach in has any media set up. For classes I teach with less then 90 students, I have to lug a laptop and project (with extension cords) to class and 'build my classroom' each day. It's quite an irritating pain!

January 18, 2007 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For such a pimped out technologically-advanced building, they sure didn't think ahead, did they?

January 18, 2007 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is definitely a pain in the ass, especially when carrying play-doh. though now i *must* know, what do you use the playdoh for?!

January 18, 2007 10:06 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Oh yeah - I forgot not everybody has been around since I first explained the Play-doh. Let the mystery be solved

January 18, 2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Thursday W. said...

Try playing the DVD on the computer. Some will do it.

Last semester my 'office' (the former ladies' restroom lounge) was in the same building as my classroom, on the campus I lived near. Now I'm teaching on the other campus, my office is in one building, the classroom is in the LIBRARY, and I had to go between the two three times before I finally had everything I needed for today's class. AUGH.

January 18, 2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I can't comment as a teacher, as I teach all my classes online..however..I used to HATE it as a student, when I'd have that one class located in the business school..clear across campus. Now of course, this class would fall on a MWF, which meant one hour in my *regular* building, next at business school, next back at the *regular* building. Luckily, there are buses at Texas Tech because the campus is so huge and winters pretty much suck in Lubbock, but still...ten minutes to get on the other side of campus was brutal.

January 19, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger boo said...

sheesh thats rough. But try being the new student. I'm a 22 year old single mother and I just started taking night classes. I couldnt figure out where to park and when I did I realized I just parked in BFE because my class is on the other side of campus! The one day parking permit machine was BROKEN so I had to pray for three hours that I didnt have a $260 ticket on my car. Now I need a book and have no Idea how to find the book store. Its like they dont want you to find this stuff.

January 19, 2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Peach, your campus gives $260 parking tickets!?!? That's freakin' insane. Talk about NOT being student-centered. And speaking of not being "student centered", I don't think many large campuses are laid out to be that way. Actually, they're not designed to be easily understood by most human beings.

January 19, 2007 11:21 AM  
Blogger Terminal Degree said...

If the computer doesn't play DVDs, you might want to consider buying your own DVD player. Yes, it sucks to schlepp it around (and to buy equipment the university ought to provide), but for $40 for a cheapo DVD player, it might be worth it.

I love technology. Except when I don't get to use it. Sigh.

January 20, 2007 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home