Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

As It Turns Out . . .

I'm really quite boring.

I never intended to abandon my blog, suddenly and without warning. But stuff just happened.


  • I started my fancy-schmancy job.
  • We moved.
  • Did I mention we moved into our 70-year-old house that was still partially gutted and had. no. air conditioning!?!?!?!?
  • And also? My computer is now in the "upstairs office." When you come upstairs after a long day in a refrigeration unit masquerading as a cubicle and see on the office digital thermometer the current temperature is 96 degrees, blogging does not appeal. Nothing does.
  • I joined NutriSystem. I hate it, but I lost 8 pounds. (Whoopee! My trainer told me I need to lose 16.)
  • Oh. I joined a gym and hired a trainer. I hate him. I think the feeling is mutual.
  • I have purchased several pairs of Steve Madden shoes with my fancy-scmancy new paycheck. You know what? Steve Madden shoes don't really fit my giant, flat Fred Flintstone feet all that well.
  • You know what else? When you have to keep a large box of Band-Aids in your desk at work, your new co-workers think you're an idiot for wearing gorgeous shoes that have the capacity to turn your feet into bloody stumps.
  • I got subscriptions to intellectually questionable magazines like People, Oprah and Real Living. (Are you sensing a theme here with the crazy-mad-spending? I gotta tell you, after 3 years of living on a teaching fellow's salary when I got my first "real" paycheck, I felt like a woman who had been wandering in the desert for 40 years and then, um, wandered out of the desert? Okay, bad analogy, but I'm rusty people!)
  • I got my first speeding ticket in 7 years. When I called Mr. J. in tears, he said, "It's okay. It's been a long time since you've gotten a speeding ticket." Yes, it was. I hadn't gotten one since I met him. I sniffled, feeling a bit better. "When was the last time you've gotten one?" I asked, hoping for more sympathy and commiseration. "I've never gotten one because I don't speed." I hung up on him.


SO much more excitement around here, but what I've discovered is this:

The last year+, my blog has been largely driven by rage at my students. No rage? No blog? But I'm trying to be a better human being and I'm now going to attempt to blog without the rage. We shall see.

If you're still reading after 3 months of silence, all I can say is that you're a better human being than I am. I apologize for abandoning my readers and I will do my best to make it up to you.

Here's to better days!! (Oh - and the grammar is rusty, too. Be kind!)

Teacher Lady

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

So good to see you posting again! I kept you on my google reader subscriptions out of childish hope.

I hope the new job is going well. I won't hope that your co-workers fill you with rage, because that would be mean, but...

August 18, 2007 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too!! i have missed teacher lady's snark.

August 18, 2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger SAILOR MOON said...

Hey teacher lady - im actually going into teaching now because my major hasnt gotten me a job--- Florida needs teachers and i need a pay check... i was wondering if you have ever taught 2nd or 3rd grade - i figure it'd be easier to mold minds than to have them when they've been rotted ...any advice?

August 18, 2007 4:25 PM  
Blogger B Squared said...

we are still here, glad to see you back

August 18, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Cay Reet said...

You actually took your very last chance - I've been checking on this blog for nothing for quite some time and had just decided to kick it out of my bookmarks when you updated.

Good to see you're back!

August 19, 2007 9:07 AM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

Aw, but I like the rage. Your rage, anyway, is funny and articulate.

But you're back! That's great news.

August 20, 2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

Glad to see you are back. I have kept you in my Bloglines all this time and was excited to see you had put up a post. Now that you're not teaching will you change the name of your blog?

August 20, 2007 4:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I KNEW you'd be back! I've missed you so!

August 20, 2007 11:32 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Welcome back. All that wandering in the dessert seems to have weakened your spelling skills.

Really enjoyed the "how I met my husband series"

August 25, 2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Oh good gob I'm humiliated. Just two weeks ago I was telling someone how I swore that "dessert" was misspelled on the cover of Time Magazine a few years ago. There was a reference to Martha Stewart and the question,"Just Deserts?" I couldn't believe it. And now look at me. Shameful.

August 26, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Welcome back!

August 27, 2007 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home