Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Just Some Stuff I've Noticed

Around town:

  • A bowling alley has an electronic sign with scrolling messages. One of the messages is: "Mmmm . . . Dippin' Dots! $3.00" What in the hell are Dippin' Dots? Wait. Don't tell me.
  • The university fitness center has a wonderful selection of classes this summer. The description of one of the yoga classes reads: "Everyone has heard of the Yoga Butt. Now, with this class you can have one!" Nope, everyone has not heard of a Yoga Butt. Thanks a lot, people! I'm all alone here. In the dark. Not knowing enough to want a Yoga Butt.
  • Sign outside fast food restaurant: "We have cheese curds!" Personally, I don't think that's anything to be proud of.

In the media:

  • I read a quote in a magazine from Jenny McCarthy's new book (hell, no, I'm not going to link to it!) that went something like this: "Most women slide easily into a life of scrubbing toilets, cooking, cleaning, domestic stuff. Not me. I had to be dragged into it kicking and screaming." I used to like Jenny McCarthy. I used to think she was cute and funny. And now? Oh, somebody is impressed with herself. And somebody doesn't think much of "most women." Most women slide easily into a life of scrubbing toilets. But Ms. McCarthy? Oh, no. She struggled with that because she is just too special. But the rest of us non-Playmates of the Year? We love that shit. No pun intended.
  • On a rerun of the BRAVO show Blowout, Jonathan Antin's sister Robin had an audition for a new Pussycat Doll. I guess the tagline for the "Dolls" is, "Inside every woman is a Pussycat Doll." Really? So that's what that is. I just thought it was gas. And now I know why my favorite jeans are tight - there are TWO of me trying to get in them. Me, and the Pussycat Doll. Diet, schmiet!

At work:

  • The Sociology Department offers a course called, "Social Problems." When a student has a scheduling conflict I love to say, "You can't take math then; it looks like you have social problems." I'm so juvenile.

On Blogger:

I can see the bullets over here in Edit post mode, but when I publish and view my blog? Nada. Can anyone please explain this? Spank you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Sorry I can't help you with your bullet problem and I am going to tell you what dippin dots are. They are the new "ice cream". The best way I can describe them are pellet sized flavored sugar that is stuck in a freezer to make you think you are eating ice cream. I saw them all the time in NC but could never bring myself to try them, plus they are expensive.

May 31, 2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dippin Dots are a new form of torture. They're kept at temperatures much lower than normal ice cream. It's like putting little frozen bb's (think flagpole in winter) on your tongue. By the time they warm to a temperature you can eat, you have about 18 seconds before they become pure goo.

May 31, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

As to your bullet problem -- you'll probably need to talk to Julie about it. It's CSS related, and, more specifically, it's most likely because the tag is missing its definition of a bullet. (I probably tortured that explanation, but a pseudo-geek like me finds it entirely understandable...)

As to the Dippin' Dots -- I suggest you stay FAR away from them. They frighten me.

June 01, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Better cheese curds than scrapple. (Scrapple=the stuff not good enough to go in sausage...) And fried mush. Ah, the good old south...

In Dippin' Dots' defense, I enjoy them. They are strange and I wouldn't want to eat them often, but every now and then.

June 01, 2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Wait, I thought scrapple was a Philadelphia thing? anyway, it's delish! and pork roll. and oh my god, what is for dinner??

June 01, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

I enjoy Dippin' Dots. Then again, I'm easily amused. I can't eat Scrapple anymore, even though I'm from Philly. One day it just kind of hit me what I was putting in my mouth. Delicious and gross all at the same time. Yoga Butt, though? That's a new one on me.

And shut up, Jenny McCarthy.

June 01, 2006 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, I know all about scrapple, unfortunately. It's related to head cheese. They fry it and pour maple syrup all over it. I lived in PA for 7 years but never had the guts to try it. And it's definitely a Pennsylvania thing, though it might also be a southern thing.

And yes, about the bullets: what Kristy said. Do you want bullets?

June 11, 2006 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home