Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Baby Steps

I feel very unsure of myself now, back in the blogosphere. So until I get my footing and figure out who I am if I'm no longer Teacher Lady, I'll just try to do little mini-rants each day. Just enough to keep the wonderful, lovely and talented Veronica Mitchell coming back. If you don't know who she is, you must go and visit her. She is who I want to be when I grow up. She is the sophisticated version of my snarky self. She is my gauge - if she's visiting, I must be doing something right.

Tonight, it will be a short movie "review."

Last night Mr. J. and I rented The Good Shepherd. Um, What. The. F*ck, people? Has anyone else seen this? If so, can someone explain it to me?

Here's my take: CIA = bad. Men in the CIA and/or Skull & Bones (because apparently, they're the same thing) = very, very bad, yet, secretly running the country.

I gotta tell ya, I was sucked in by the Oscar nominations and the cast - Robert DeNiro? William Hurt? Joe Pesci? These are some heavy hitters in my tiny pea-brain. However, all the heavy hitters in the world were not enough to make me like a film that was 2 hours and 40+ minutes of Matt Damon acting like a complete and total emotional fuckwit (to borrow a phrase from one Ms. Bridget Jones). At the end of the long slog, I looked at Mr. J. and asked, "What was that?" He shrugged. "Who knows. And really, who cares?" Who cares, indeed. I have to like a character - or at least find him remotely compelling to want to stick around long enough to see what happens to him. Matt Damon - or the character he plays - is about as compelling as a wet paper towel. And that's an insult to wet paper towels everywhere.

Even though it was nearly 1:00 a.m., I had to hop onto Yahoo! Movies and find out if I was the only ignorant slob who was too stupid to like this movie. The BEST quote I found in the user reviews? This:

This was the worst movie I have ever seen. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, except people I hate.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

What nice things to say about me! And wholly undeserved.

I let me sister warn me off movies, and she said she saw The Departed and came away saying, "Huh?" That was enough for me.

My favorite movie review quote of all time was about Battlefield Earth: "A million monkeys with a million crayons might possibly come up with something this cretinous." Pure gold.

August 19, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

I completely & wholeheartedly agree.

But more importantly, I'm so happy you're back! I haven't decided if I'm going to blame it on my new job or the unrelenting heat this summer, but I have been supremely unmotivated the past few months. Perhaps you will inspire me to post more than every six weeks. (Ha! Am funny!)

August 20, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger B Squared said...

I also have no clue from the Good Shepherd, kind of took it to be a long, poor take on the "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" with the parallels they built in between Damon and his son.

In a spin towards your recent life change maybe the point was to find out what you really want and go do that so that the circumstances of life don't control you, thinking the whole "having" to marry Angelina, then joining the Army, then the CIA, he let his situations bully him into being something he didn't want (unlike you with your escape to the "real world").

August 20, 2007 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home