Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

SOLD

Although we haven't closed, and there are a number of points at which the deal could fall through, our condo has sold.

Do not congratulate me. I am not excited. I am the opposite of excited. I am despondent and dejected.

I grasp the irony - many, many people would LOVE to sell a home in less than 3 weeks, in this part of the country, in this market. I am not one of those people. Personally, I was hoping our place would stay on the market for at least a year, so I could enjoy our beautiful new cabinets and sparkling new appliances just a little while longer.

But it is not to be. Just in case the first week of school doesn't suck enough, what with my classes and the handing over of large sums of money for my textbooks, and students in a constant state of confusion, I can add moving to the list of things that make it suck. Oh - and notice how I didn't mention where we're going? Yeah, that's right. We don't know. All sold out and no place to go.

Sorry gang - I know nobody likes a pity party, but here we are.

11 Comments:

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

So you're moving for J's job? Is he in the military?? I'm sorry that you're unhappy about the situation, Teacher Lady!

August 22, 2006 10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a pity party. I've brought a bottle of lightly-sparkling low calorie empathy and a bag of Doritos.

August 22, 2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

I am SO JEALOUS right now, I could just spit. But I won't 'cause that's just nasty. And also because, obviously, this is not happy news for you. I am so sorry you have to leave your shiny new kitchen & deal with the chaos of moving / finding a new place, something that is not fun under the best of circumstances. I hope that the move will ultimately be a positive one for you. In the meantime, open a bottle of wine (or two) & console yourself with the thought that you never have to have another Open House! Hang in there!

August 22, 2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

I am so sorry for the unwelcome move. Our first move occured when I was 8 months pregnant and subbing full time at a high school. It was the closest I ever came to a panic attack. I hope things go more smoothly than you expect, and you find a new home to love.

August 22, 2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

LB - No, he's not in the military; just got a job that was an outstanding opportunity and since I'm almost done with coursework, it makes more sense for ME to have a heinous commute a day or two a week than for him to have one five days a week.

Moobs - I think I love you. Would you like to become a part of my husband-harem that I'm starting up? I'm taking long-distance members.

Miss Britt - yeah, a gorgeous new kitchen is like a gorgeous new boyfriend. Hard to resist, hard to get over.

Shawnee, that's true. And I can put all those stupid "This is a toilet" signs in the trash!

August 22, 2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You could always move into your car. That's where I still reside. I've been truck-bound for 13 months now. Maybe you won't stay as long as I have but it's definitely an, uh, interesting experience. Makes for great stories.

August 22, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

That sucks. I hope your move goes without hassle and that you find a nice place to move into.

August 22, 2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

Oh teacher lady. I'm so sorry about you having to leave your sparkly kitchen. I feel for you. Maybe you'll be able to re-do another kitchen soon?

Okay, okay, biting my tongue before you even tell me to.

August 23, 2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger Silliyak said...

You could save the signs for your Alheimer's years, but I suppose you will have forgotten where you put them. I'm not that far off, maybe you should send them to me. What was I saying?

August 23, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

it figures...doesn't it? damn it.

August 23, 2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You have my sympathies....Moving blows.
My trick for moving with pets: bottle up some water from the old house and bring it to the new house to give to your dog. Unpack their food and water dishes in front of them. Dogs are sensitive to changes in their food and water and it will help them adjust.

Good luck!!

www.kainyc.blogspot.com

August 24, 2006 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home