Sex Ed in Higher Ed

College instructor teaching human sexuality rants about the dumbing down of America, the lost art of manners, grammar and (the perfect combination of both) the thank you note. Also includes random rants about life, pet peeves, and sometimes raves about favorite things.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

How Did This Happen?

Did I mention I am also teaching freshman orientation? The woman who runs the program is an old friend of mine and she was desperate for faculty instructors. Because I never pass up an opportunity for blog material am practically a freakin' saint, I agreed to help her out.

The freshman moved (or should I say infested) onto campus last week.

My orientation class met on Friday. On the roster, I have all kinds of information and guess what?

These COLLEGE FRESHMEN were born the year I graduated from high school!!

That is sick and wrong and someone needs to fix that now.

And also? One of the female students told me she didn't like her name (we were doing an ice breaker about the origin of our names) because it was so "old-timer" - her name? Karen. Yeah, get out the walker and the Ben-Gay, Karen!

Karen is now an "old" name? I understand Ethel, Ruth, Ruby, Pearl, Hilda and Bertha and even Sadie (although apparently, the name Sadie is enjoying a comeback). But Karen?

Damn. I'm old. How did that happen?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. T said...

I am now old enough to say that some of my high school students have parents who are younger than I am. (shudder)
You know, at some point, all of the little Gracies, Madelines, Logans and Olivias are going to say THEIR names are so old-timer. How does ANY of it happen?

August 27, 2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Oh yes. The vile and OLD Karen.

Ha hahahaha!!!

I think I am the same age as you. I know a lot of Karens.

August 27, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Sonja Sommers-Milbourn said...

How well I can relate! I've now been teaching college longer than the age I was when hired...oooh!

August 28, 2006 4:03 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Karen is an old name?? MY name is Karen and I'm not even 30! Sigh pass the Polident and cane this way please....

August 28, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

If you ever find out how that happened, please tell me.

I think I'm way older than you are, and I know two Karens who are even older.

Of course, I also have a "Ruthie" and a "Thaddeus" this year, and neither of them is dry behind the ears yet.

I won't mention my six Jessicas and four Tiffanys.

At least I have no Misty Dawn this year. I think that's a first.

August 28, 2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

My mom wanted me to take Agnes as my confirmation name. Seriously, mom, I have the most awkward-sounding first and middle names, let's throw in a geriatric confirmation name, just for shits and giggles?! Anyway, my point- Agnes is an old-sounding name (which may prove to become popular again, what with the Biblical-names revival). Karen, not so much. Dorkus!

August 28, 2006 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father wanted to name me Frith. Frith! What fucken kind of name is that? But there it is, in the baby name book that mum and dad have thumbed through over the years.

Thank god mum intervened.

Karen is NOT an old name. Although it is very 70's. Like Susan or Michelle or Rachel. I guess all those names will come back in style soon.

August 29, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Fraulein N said...

Heh. I'll have to pass this information along to my sister. "Hey, did you know you have an old lady name?"

And lazy lightning, I do the same thing, and I'm only 25. I'm all, "Wait, people who were born in '88 are old enough to go to the store alone now? How'd that happen?"

August 29, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger princessfairytoes said...

so I'm a 70's not classic and biblical now !!

August 29, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I can't get past the idea that this year's freshman were born the year you graduated from high school. Because we are the same age.

August 29, 2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I'm with everyone on this one: I register people to vote and when I get ones from people born in 1988 I'm like, "They're old enough to vote?? WTF?"

September 04, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger luckybuzz said...

This is my first visit here and I was totally enjoying myself right up until that college freshman/HS graduation age thing. I thought, wow, that must be disturbing and weird.

And then I did a little math.

And I think we're the same age. And now I need a drink.

September 16, 2006 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my freshman journalism class. I walked in and my (young and hot) prof looked at me, narrow-eyed, and said, "This is it. I just know it. This is the year. What year were you born?" And when I told him, he tottered brokenly to a chair, buried his head in his hands, and murmured something about how that was the year he graduated.
And I thought, "Wow, he's older than he looks."
I already went through what you're going through, though, as I am 2 years older than you are. Oh wait...3. Damn.
Also, Ruby and Pearl are hot names among the toddler set. It all goes around.

September 18, 2006 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home